The only cape in England
3 miles N of Land's End
Long thought to be the most westerly point in England, Cape Cornwall lies on the Atlantic coast about a mile west of the old mining town of St. Just. This dramatic headland, crowned by a handsome mining stack, is the only one in the country to be known as a cape. Formerly owned by Francis Oats - who died in 1918 and built Porthledden House nearby - the Cape was purchased for the nation by H. J. Heinz Co. Ltd and was presenced to the National Trust in 1987. The area was mined extensively for tin and copper from about 1600. The chimney stack crowning the promontory belonged to the Cape Cornwall Mine, opened in 1836, and was renovated in 1986. It was erected to improve the draught to the boiler house, now converted into a private house. The mine manager or 'captain' lived in the square-built house close by.
In the privately owned field below the Cape are the remains of a small medieval chapel, known as St. Helen's or St. Catherine's oratory, possibly standing on an earlier Celtic site. Due south of the Cape is Priest's Cove where, for centuries, local fishermen have launched their small boats. About a mile south-west of the Cape are two jagged slate rocks known as The Brisons, said to resemble General De Gaulle lying in his bath. They have wrecked many ships over the years.
Land's End Levant Beam Engine Geevor Tin Mine Pendeen Lighthouse
Botallack Mine St. Just Sennen Cove The Coastal Footpath