Home of the biggest hole in Europe
Delabole is a large village in north Cornwall. It is situated approximately two miles (3km) west of Camelford and is the third highest village in Cornwall.
The village of Delabole came into existence in the 20th century; it is named after the Delabole Quarry. There were three hamlets: Pengelly, Medrose and Rockhead. When the railway arrived in 1893, the station was named Delabole after the quarry, and the three hamlets merged in order to keep the name consistent and prevent confusion.
In the centre of the village there is a public house, a couple of grocery shops and an award winning florist "Bruallen". Also the Cornwall Air Ambulance charity shop amongst others.
Delabole is known for one of the biggest holes in Europe, Delabole Slate Quarry. The quarry is one of the largest of its type in England and has run continuously since the 15th century making it the oldest working slate quarry in England.
The Anglican Church of St. John was built in 1880.
The village has a King George V Playing Field and until the 1950s there was also a cinema called the Regal.
The North Cornwall Railway provided a freight service from Delabole between 1893 and 1964 (passenger services ended in 1966).
Delabole is also the site of Britain's first commercial wind farm.
The Bettle and Chisel
The Poldark Inn
Camelford British Cycling Museum Delabole Wind Farm Delabole Slate Quarry